The Messaging System is Bad

• So the reason it formats like this is because messages now works cross server so you can message between freedom 1 and freedom 2 for example, and the default plugin behaviour is to display the server name of each player as the same message in the same structure is always sent to both players.

It's not possible to shorten the server name without changing it globally which isn't practical. I can change or remove the server names but I feel that could equally be confusing for players that don't realize you can message cross servers.

I can change the formatting if people have a preference but I'm not sure the content itself can be changed a whole lot without going back to the plugim devs

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @wild1145#8862

Would it be that big of an issue in changing the names of the individual servers to something like F1 or similar? I doubt most people even attend "Freedom2", so I don't see any issues with changing both servers to "F1" and "F2", and for survival server it would be "SMP"

At its current state it looks unprofessional and disorienting. When I first recieved a message when this got implemented I didn't even know it was a private message because of the clusterfuck.

-> You're being kinda gay for saying that I have a big dick. But I very much appreciate the gesture.

Vs.

[F1] -> [F1] I measured alongside your dad, and we came to the conclusion that mine is 3 inches longer than his, thus making it 7 inches longer than yours.

To expand, I also don't get why we even have to signify which server the messenger and reciever are on. As far as I know, we don't list all players from across all servers on the same server tab, except for maybe in the hub? So I don't get why we don't simply remove the server-indicator?

• @wild1145#8862 In a situation like this, you either make the necessary modifications to the source code yourself, which is what we have been doing for 10 years, or you go back to the developers to ask them to add the requested feature. If neither of those things are possible, that seems like a pretty terrible arrangement for this server...

• @Miwojedk#8876 The implication is that it would mean the commands would go from /freedom-01 to /f1 etc which is not remotely intuitive.

I'm not against changing the formatting, I'm just trying to highlight the limitations we currently have as a result of the plugin. We can turn off the cross-server messaging entirely if people really don't like it, but it feels useful allowing people to message across servers.

@Miwojedk#8876 To expand, I also don't get why we even have to signify which server the messenger and reciever are on. As far as I know, we don't list all players from across all servers on the same server tab, except for maybe in the hub? So I don't get why we don't simply remove the server-indicator?

No, Tabs are local to the server you are in, so Freedom-01 and Freedom-02 and each Hub all have totally unique tab lists, so it does make some sense to show the servers the players are in, as it wouldn't be obvious that the player isn't on the same server potentially.

Wild1145

• @StevenNL2000#8878 We can't change the source code, and frankly we don't really want to be editing more plugins than we have to... We have enough issues trying to maintain what we have imho.

If we want to implement different functionality then we would have to disable the network manager messages and implement either an alternative plugin which is either something off the shelf or custom.

We do have flexibility in what the messages look like, but I'm somewhat limited to the fields that I can use, and the server name for example has other implications that we just need to be mindful of...

Wild1145

• @wild1145#8886

I'm unsure if you misunderstood me or you're being dense.
    Changing [Freedom-01] to [F1] is indeed intuitive, but I don't understand why it's so hard to simply shorten the name, if you really wish to keep the original command to access the freedom server via command, and not the portal. Even so, in the compass, it shouldn't be that difficult to simply title the main freedom server.

Nonetheless, there is next-to-zero playtime on the other two servers besides TF. And since you mention that tabs are only local to the server you're in, I don't see why it would make any sense what-so-ever to signify what server you're messaging from, considering that you won't be messaging somebody on the other server, when you don't even know if they're online or not, since you mentioned that the tab-function is only local.

• @Miwojedk#8895 You might be missing my point. I'm saying with the variables I can use, that's not possible without re-naming the server.

That's the way the private messages are formatted so hopefully you can see the options I have to play with, I can't statically set that to [F1] without it breaking other functionality elsewhere, as I have no way to change that without it changing the server name everywhere, and quite frankly I don't want to do that...

It surprised me but it happens a fair bit when people are in the hubs sending messages and when we had SMP running that would happen a fair bit where someone would move to the SMP server and the other player wouldn't.

Currently the only way to change it is to change the format as you can see there (And it probably makes sense for the receiver not to see their server and the sender not to see their server given they should know what server they're on...).

The options are to customise that message within reason, though I personally think the person who is not "You" should always display what server they are on in the message, or we disable the cross-network messaging entirely which I'd rather not do, but is an option.

Wild1145

• I support fionn's idea of changing the colors for direct messages (like it is for guild chat).

And the server name should be hidden when the two players are in the same one.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• @Telesphoreo#12931 no ticket has been raised because the suggestion hasn't yet been approved or rejected. Your sarcasm is noted.

And the essentials commands will be blocked / removed shortly as the nm messaging system is all that should be being used.

Wild1145