Wipe the worlds and CoreProtect db with a 7-14 day notice

• Hello,
    Currently on freedom-01 our CoreProtect database is 73.3 GB; this presents a challenge in which CoreProtect takes a shit load of time to restore block data.

Our only alternative would be to wipe the worlds (except the masterbuilderworld and adminworld) so that we could wipe the CoreProtect database. Wiping the database would release a lot of storage on the server and make it a lot easier for CoreProtect to actually do its job.

To do this, I propose we give a 7-14 day notice before we wipe the worlds, that way players have plenty of time to save their builds as schematics and restore them once the map is wiped. I'd like to hear your thoughts below.

• For clarity, if we do a total wipe of the CoreProtect database we would wipe all of the maps.

I'm looking at options to do a more selective wipe at the moment, but we would effectively totally re-set Freedom-01 to day 0 if we drop the CoreProtect Database.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @Darth#7492 Because that's also logged by CoreProtect...? And as seen by recent events, having the rollback information is fairly important to roll back damage that might end up getting done.

Wild1145

• @Telesphoreo#7496 Which works great for flatlands (Which might be quite enough) but doesn't help if we want to delete data from the other worlds, which is something we will eventually want to do when we start to split the worlds out into dedicated server instances, which is why I started to look at sensible ways to selectively delete for example.

And yes we could update the command, but to be honest given CoreProtects quite frankly shite setup with databases in general, I'm not entirely sure I trust it to actually do what I would expect it to do any more anyway and again, only solves the issue for deleting data, not selectively moving data...

Wild1145

• CoreProtect has a feature where it allows you to purge data older than a certain amount of days. While I'm not sure if it lets you choose to only wipe data for a specific world (someone will have to fill me in on this), it might help in wiping the data for worlds other than the flatlands.

Vouch, but the old data definitely should be made available for download if this goes through.

image.png

@videogamesm12#7498 Vouch, but the old data definitely should be made available for download if this goes through.

Which is part of the challenge, because CoreProtect doesn't make it available.

I'm also still trying to decide if I want to make CoreProtect data available separate to that of the maps. Where we do wipe the maps I'm generally happy to make it available, but something doesn't quite sit right with me with making the files available for a running server / map...

Wild1145

• @StevenNL2000#7511 They are currently fairly high on the priority list. I'm hoping to spend a decent amount of time playing with them once I've finished all the current migration activities and re-jigging infrastructure around.

Wild1145

• @ThePyroManActualAccount#7536 Then save it in multiple schematics...? This is for the well-being of the server and its players. I know players like UnderTails have the Imperium in the end which is huge; I'm sure your builds would be able to be archived if saved in multiple schematics.

This is to try and improve player experience and get CoreProtect somewhat working normally again - not to trash on players and just get rid of their builds.

• @Ivan#7541 object

no. If you can think of a way to save this tell me.

our base is about 8,000x 8,000 bedrock to world limit

Ill give you a map of it

https://imgfly.me/i/jyiW0B

it takes 10 minutes to paste any of our 8 castles alone.

It would take literal real world years to paste our entire base.

i would vouch on this if the end was not included, I’ve spent 7 months building stuff and it would be literally impossible to get this all work back,

• @UnderTails#7554 I highly doubt it would take real world years - it is a block game. Later I will try saving your base and pasting it on a test server and reply with my observation

@UnderTails#7554 It would take literal real world years to paste our entire base.

Selections can be pasted while discounting air blocks (-a) which is known to significantly improve the performance of block operations.

Stop being so dramatic. "Your" creation is not as monolithic as you believe it to be. Wasting space should not amount to grandiosity.

• @videogamesm12#7498 From my knowledge, you indeed can wipe from select worlds using /co purge

I vouch world wiping and for wiping coreprotect and it should be done every 30 days (coreprotect) or so to prevent it from getting to big and if we wipe the worlds, we should make them downloadable at least if stuff can't be schemed due to size.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• If we want any chance of keeping at least 50% of our playerbase, we should not wipe all the worlds.
    The effect of wiping the worlds would be incredibly damaging. The cons outweigh the pros here. I've heard mention of Prism and other grief trackers being tested, so maybe make copies of the current worlds and test those plugins.

@fssp#7556 Selections can be pasted while discounting air blocks (-a) which is known to significantly improve the performance of block operations.

This is not a solution to the issues there are, which is that many OPs have their builds integrated into the terrains, such as in Fazbender Entertainment in the overworld. That is why Pyro is saying it's not possible to paste schematics. If you look at the Imperium as well, it's the same thing - many of the builds are designed for the specific areas of those terrains such as islands in the End and it cannot work unless the islands are copied too (which totals to an approximate 1 billion blocks).

Wiping coreprotect would also not be beneficial to the OPs either, as yet again some OPs have big-scale projects like the Imperium which have been worked on ever since the deletion of TF.

With all of the reasoning above, I object.

@Ashaz#7602 This is not a solution to the issues there are, which is that many OPs have their builds integrated into the terrains, such as in Fazbender Entertainment in the overworld. That is why Pyro is saying it's not possible to paste schematics. If you look at the Imperium as well, it's the same thing - many of the builds are designed for the specific areas of those terrains such as islands in the End and it cannot work unless the islands are copied too (which totals to an approximate 1 billion blocks).

Copying and pasting works which "integrate" into the terrain are manageable through ways described in your own post. I've saved projects as schematics which are much bigger than whatever is being described here, and that is accomplished through partitioning large builds into sections. Various sections can be copied and pasted across regions given their coordinate position be recorded and maintained.

Of course, this is tedious work. That being said, I've been told in a braggadocious tone that "the Imperium" is a faction of over one hundred members.

CoreProtect's block logging system has been unreliable for quite some time, and if players haven't been saving their projects as schematics, that would be to their own detriment. This has never been a good server for building.