Make freedom.play.totalfreedom.me send you to the last server you were on

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • So I wrote a previous forum post about this and I thought it was a bug but it was actually just an inconvenient feature change.
    I originally wanted the freedom. extension on the ip to go to freedom-01 like it always did but i saw a better suggestion by Telesphoreo

I think this makes the most sense to send you to the last server you were on and I don’t think it makes sense to randomly send you to one of the freedom servers, if it’s a first time joining it should randomly send you to one but any other time it should send you to the last server you were on.

I also want to add that the freedom-02-server-chat is now a constant flow of people joining and typing /freedom-01 now

!

I don’t think there is anything controversial about this, and if you do I would really like a thorough explanation.

• I did ya a favour here since image links piss me off so much, i embeded them for you and put the latter 3 in a spoiler :P

i also vouch for the convenience of the freedom ip putting you on the last visited server. i see it as a little more convienient personally to go through that to freedom 1 then the hub when things pop off. its nothing ill lose sleep over if it doesn't go ahead tho like im fine with going through the hub and typing a command but its a timesaver getting in by a few seconds.

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• @Ashaz#7104 No?

"I think players should always connect to the server they were last on. It's it down [...], then defualt to the hub"

"I think you should be able to put in a 01 or 02 in the IP to let people connect directly"

Vouch. Same mentality as the fool 2 comments above me.

• @UnderTails#7168 So that's not possible.

The options here are, everyone goes back to using play.totalfreedom.me as a primary way to connect and it connects you to the last server on the network you were connected to, if that's down you get bounced back to a hub server.

Or alternatively the current implementation remains.

We can't set it up (As far as I'm aware at least) so freedom.play and smp.play route you back to the same server on a re-connect.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

@wild1145#7177 The options here are, everyone goes back to using play.totalfreedom.me as a primary way to connect and it connects you to the last server on the network you were connected to, if that's down you get bounced back to a hub server.

I vouch for this option because it meets both parties in the middle and can continue to be used once the subdomains are removed completely.

• get rid of the subdomains and remember what server i was on. or let people directly connect to servers there's no good reason not to have that option. I'm in awe you literally made a freedom subdomain and are now saying it's discouraged and people shouldn't use it and you're going to phase it out eventually. wtf???? how does that make any sense. you really should stop overcomplicating things just because you can.

• @Telesphoreo#7269 The freedom sub-domain only exists because people got shitty they had to spend 20 seconds in a hub to go to the Freedom server, and the SMP one only exists because that's historically how you had to connect when they were not bungee'd. I've always maintained we want players going via the hub for all connections to the network, because that's what it's there for.

Wild1145

• So I am happy to approve (If everyone agrees)

play.totalfreedom.me will route new players by default to the hub on first login to the network, and beyond that it will route you to the last server you connected to providing it is up, and if it's unavailable it will fall you back to a hub to then pick where you want to go.

freedom.play and smp.play will continue to route you to an available server within the respective groups, there is no guarantee you will end up on the server you left but you will guarantee a freedom or SMP Server.

hub.play will be created and will always route you to one of the hubs for those who want to continue to connect via the hub.

Does that sound like a sane way forward for people?

Wild1145

• Given the post above seems to be generally supported I've made the config change to no longer force users to a hub server.

The addition of hub.play will be deployed next weekend when the bungee software updates are rolled out.

We will look to re-visit this in a couple of months to make sure we're happy that this has had the indented impact, but hopefully this works better.

Wild1145

• So unfortunately this has proved not to work quite as it was intended, it seems to randomly dump you somewhere on the network if we don't force people to the hub, which was not the behaviour I had expected. As a result I've gone back to forcing people via the hub on play.totalfreedom.me because at least you don't end up on a server unexpectedly...

I'll re-open this thread for further conversation.

Wild1145

• @wild1145#10430 You could try sending them to the hub first, but then sending them to the server they last played on almost immediately. This would eliminate the random dump issue, as it would be sending you to the server directly (from the hub).. and it shouldn't be too hard to implement, all you'd need to know is what server they last played on.. and then run the corresponding command. (/freedom-01, /freedom-02 etc.)

• @redeastwood#10433 The issue is it's the way Bungee seems to work. It doesn't seem to default route you to where you came from, at least in the scenarios I've seen.

This isn't something we can "Fix" this is either changing the default bungee behaviour it seems, or go back to how it was before with the various hostnames and encouraging people via the hub which was always my personal preference.

Wild1145

• @Shdwo#10434 It's an option, but requires a considerable amount of work because as I say, it's not the native bungee behaviour that I expected...

Wild1145

• @wild1145#10439 A slightly saner implementation would be a small Bungee plugin that intercepts the player join and sends the player to the correct server. I think it is rather important to find a way to produce the behavior you expected because it was the only reasonable compromise.

• @StevenNL2000#10551 Raised FS-168 to do something like that, hopefully there are plugins out there, or we can get NM to make that the behaviour of choice, but if not we'll have to raise the tickets to write our own bungee plugin.

Wild1145