WoltLab Forum Migration - Feedback

• Hi Folks,

While I've been taking some time away from the day to day running of the network, I've spent some time working with the development team at Woltlab to look to identify a solid way we can migrate the Flarum forums over to Woltlab, the forum suite we started to explore around a year ago.

As part of this I've stood up a new temporary test forum which contains a dump of the data from this forum from last week which has been imported in. The forum itself is not fully configured, and is running a bare-bones configuration on a fairly aggressive security lockdown so there will be naturally some bits that don't quite work as they should, for the purposes of this please ignore anything that is not thread content.

There are some things that haven't imported, the main one being avatars and polls that I'm aware of. In both cases we won't be looking to migrate these.

We are also aware of a few issues we're working through.

• Imported Code Blocks are a bit broken
    • Spoilers won't be imported, they might land as Code blocks or nothing but there's syntax issues
    • For security we block all image embedding, so external images are currently blocked, that's part of forum config
    • BBCode doesn't import properly (This has been resolved in the newer version of the importer we haven't yet ran)

So I'd like folks to take a quick look where they can at their historic posts, and let me know if there's anything that is obviously broken with the formatting please and if so report it to the new feedback section under "Woltlab Pilot" on the left hand side.

You should all be able to login with your existing credentials, I should warn these test forums might get blown away with 0 warning and are for testing, so I've done what I can to disable posting and the likes, and if it's abused I'll simply kill them.

The following boards have been "Migrated" which I hope to have a good spread of threads and content.

• General (With Introductions, Support, General Discussion, Security, Off Topic and Media Board)
    • Suggestions (With Freedom Game-Mode)
    • Applications (Admin Applications & Senior Admin Applications)
    • Admins (With Indefinite Ban Requests)

If there are other boards folks feel would be valuable from a content testing perspective then let me know and we'll get it setup.

The current test URL is https://woltlab-test.totalfreedom.me which should let existing Flarum users sign in and read-only into the boards.

Any other issues / feedback please use the board mentioned above.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   Allink So that will just be the software default, and also you're not really posting, you're adding comments on walls atm so it could be because it's that rather than actual posts.

As I said in the post though, this is purely a content import, the settings and fine tuning is to follow but I just need to work out if there's anything that isn't importing properly so I can work with the devs back at WoltLab to fix it.

Wild1145

• wild1145 Thank you for taking time out of your break to do this. I don't think a lot of people appreciate you as much as they should to be honest.

Flarum sucks so hard I'm surprised the server managed to hold itself together with this software acting as a community hub.

ピバラ。

•   Allink

root

So I've had a quick look, I think I've changed it, if I haven't it'll have to be something I fix as part of the actual cut-over as it's a group permission (Which is handy because it means we can set different timeouts if we so desire based on who you are)

Wild1145

•   Allink Yeah, 15 seconds seems like a reasonable threshold as a general rule, but yeah we'll fine tune when we come to actually standing this up, now I know how it's setup we can tweak in the future.

It used to be 30 seconds and 60 seconds depending on where you were, everything is just 15 now

Wild1145

•   Deauthorized There is I believe, and I haven't decided yet, probably not initially, but might be something we roll out later on. I just really want to get us over to Woltlab with a working system comparable to Flarum and then start adding cool stuff after that if I'm honest.

Wild1145

•   Deauthorized The entire current test instance will be burnt with the DB as well, when we're ready to do the move for real we'll lock out Flarum and re-move across. I'll probably as I said in the original post we may even do a couple m more burns and re-imports as the importer is currently an alpha importer that we're working on the devs with... It's part of why I have restricted things to read only and not restored all the posts.

Current plan is once we're confident all the bugs are fixed then we can do a final import for real :)

Wild1145

@' 5 ' i’d love to see 2FA

That should already be a thing, I'll check

@' 5 ' a compact mode (maybe a theme offers this?)

I am not sure that will be possible, but we can look into it.

@' 5 ' the appropriate data controller contact email address added to the privacy policy (on separate occasions you have stated it is totalfreedom@atlas-media.co.uk or informationsecurity@atlas-media.co.uk, so i’m not sure which it is anymore)

The current privacy policy on there is the default one that comes out the box with the software, I need to go through and get it re-written / updated as appropriate.

@' 5 ' i dislike that recent activity can’t be disabled, because it makes appearing offline totally meaningless

I think the logic is if you chose to interact then people would notice it anyway? I think that's just how it's designed.

@' 5 ' also, pages feel like they are always zoomed in 150%.

This might be more of a default theme thing, it is designed to use the majority of the screen.

Wild1145

•   root @' 5 ' We can also do smart stuff like make it so admins / certain groups must have and use 2FA if they want to see the admin boards so it should be quite good.

Wild1145