Add a question for Discord accounts in the admin reinstatement application

• Straight to the point with this, the suggestion is to add a question requesting the user to post their discord account if they have one. This can be useful in cases of verification and can simplify the process of waiting for a response to a question as to what a user's Discord is.

• Since the application template asks for it, it might have been an oversight. The admin officer(s) uses the info to add the appropriate roles if the person already joined the Discord server. Vouch

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• @'FT ' In reality it should have been made mandatory some time ago. The conversations keeps coming up from time to time but has yet to actually be finalised.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @' 5 ' As far as I am concerned as the Executive Admin Officer, Discord will never be a requirement to be an administrator. Here's the main reasons why:

• The platform is banned in many countries, so people from countries where Discord isn't allowed wouldn't be able to become a staff member without using a VPN, which is probably illegal in said countries.

• It would increase how much we rely on Discord, a platform known for being unreliable and untrustworthy.

• It would arbitrarily introduce an age restriction.

image.png

• Object
    Vouch, forgot to read the suggestion before objecting, im an idiot. It was me objecting blindly because of my own stupidity.

Endermatter Cat-Person with wings and Magic who follows the Cat Religion.

"Never Surrender."

• Vouch.

I don't think as of yet, anyone has understood this suggestion. What is being suggested is to add a question asking for a reinstating admin's discord if possible. The main reason that I think this is a good suggestion is to make the verification process a little smoother and easier. Considering the flarum forum is only around 15 months old, this means that any admins who lost their admin status before that time for whatever reason will need to create a new forum account to reinstate. This obviously means that verification is more likely to be required, and discord is an easier option to do that. This actually has happened before. Furthermore, as has been said by others in this thread, it also makes re-adding them to their roles easier to do.

I don't see any reason to not add this? It won't take long to add in, won't take long to answer and will make life easier for both the reinstating admin and the EAO team.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   videogamesm12 On the grounds that right now discord is a requirement to do basic admin functions with the server, it really should already be a requirement. I'm not sure how admins expect to do aspects of their job without it especially with the amount of discussion we have on there in admin channels that never makes it back here.

Unless we plan to force admins to replay their conversations on the admin section of the forums, we either need to make it a requirement or bar admins from using our discord for administration duties.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

videogamesm12 The platform is banned in many countries, so people from countries where Discord isn’t allowed wouldn’t be able to become a staff member without using a VPN, which is probably illegal in said countries.

has this been an issue before with members of our community?

videogamesm12 It would increase how much we rely on Discord, a platform known for being unreliable and untrustworthy.

unreliable and untrustworthy because it's been deleted twice. unless ryan goes apeshit it probably won't happen a third time

videogamesm12 It would arbitrarily introduce an age restriction.

okay? i personally don't think we've had anyone under 13 be admin for a long time. it's not 2015 anymore. the younger players are those who have no chance of being admin anyway. the impact is entirely negligible.

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

Luke unless ryan goes apeshit it probably won’t happen a third time

FWIW if Discord was a requirement I would have been suspended when Ryan decided to ban me from the disc.

But yeah perhaps a discord requirement would help, but the issue is much more complex than we are making it out to be. The real question is whether TF has become dependant on Discord as a platform. An administrator shouldnt need Discord, as they are meant to administrate the actual server. The argument for a discord requirement is a lot more nuanced as it implies that having Discord is essential to moderating, when it shouldn’t be.

I believe that the server has definitely become irretrievably dependant on Discord. The majority of our community doesn’t join the server, but would rather interact from discord; but thats a different conversation altogether.

•   RedEastWood oh dgmw im neutral about whether it should be mandatory or not, makes no difference to me. theres no compelling reason it should be but also no compelling reason it shouldn't. my point in the above is that we shouldn't be doing things for reasons that are glorified nitpicks, such as fucking age requirements

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• For public admin tasks like tf!start, a Matrix Discord bridge appears as a bot in the Discord server and mirrors the messages between the platforms respective of tags and profile pictures. The GitHub repo details what's supported and how to set it up

No phone number, no data mining on Matrix's side, and on a federated network so every instance can't be firewall blocked