Another instant messaging method

• We currently have (as far as I know) 2 official ways of communication:

• Discord, for instant messaging
    • Forum, for slower but more focused communications.

I think we should have another way of instant messaging, as Discord's restrictive ToS seems to be causing issues and forcing Wild1145 into the unfortunate situation of being between a rock and a hard place.

A possible alternative instant messaging solution is Matrix because of its openness.
    If you know any instant messengers that are similar to Discord, please post below!

• I honestly object because I don't believe having two instant messaging platforms is an efficient idea and the popularity of discord is definitely a marketing opportunity going forward. Everyone uses and is familiar with it.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   videogamesm12 The issue is syncing things like sanctions and all that. There was another suggestion for this a while back that I think was ultimately denied because it just wasn't practical.

The reality is people are more likely to join another discord server than sign up for and use a dedicated tool that requires separate creds. I struggle to see how having an alternative to discord will be meaningful to more than about 10 people...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Revolt is the best one I've tried so far. The downside (upside???) is that there is a Windows application but it's also much more web complete so you're not forced to download the application for full functionality. This is great for those on lower end PCs as you don't have to run a bloated electron app that's slower than a three legged donkey

• As I said before, Revolt is literally like me copying an essay from a friend and changing a few words; it's literally Discord with a few changes. And if Revolt got as mainstream as Discord did, there is no doubt in my mind their TOS would be as restrictive.

I, like very few others, have had my Discord account since 2015, and have had no issues with the TOS in place and have never had issues with my account. If you're underaged and use Discord, then don't snitch yourself out. If you're breaking TOS, don't get snitched out. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

• I haven't used Revolt, but, looking at their home page, it just looks like yet another Discord clone? They even use the exact same login form!

I object to Revolt, if the need to open another chat comes, an app I would suggest would be Telegram.

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

Ivan Revolt is literally like me copying an essay from a friend and changing a few words; it’s literally Discord with a few changes

Folfy_Blue

You can make the same argument with any piece of software. Consider iOS vs Android, there are people who believe that Android copied iOS, like you both believing Revolt copied Discord.

Ivan And if Revolt got as mainstream as Discord did, there is no doubt in my mind their TOS would be as restrictive.

The difference here is that Revolt can be decentralized, unlike Discord, which means you can host the platform where the TOS doesn't apply. Also, I haven't seen a software go from open source to closed source.

Ivan If you’re breaking TOS, don’t get snitched out. Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.

So, you would rather live in a country where you don't have rights and hide from the police 24/7 rather than escaping to a country where you do have rights?

Vouch to use revolt.

characterslimits You can make the same argument with any piece of software. Consider iOS vs Android, there are people who believe that Android copied iOS, like you both believing Revolt copied Discord.

Except it’s an exact copy, lmao… they have very similar login forms, the setting menus look nearly identical. I’d be open to competition, just not when Revolt literally is a little brother trying to be like his big brother. Android and iOS are out of the picture and are actually different in their respective ways; I’ve been using both for 12 years.

characterslimits The difference here is that Revolt can be decentralized, unlike Discord, which means you can host the platform where the TOS doesn’t apply. Also, I haven’t seen a software go from open source to closed source.

Yeah, and also risk major security risks and having vulnerabilities in your code open to the entire world. I don’t think a lot of people want to host their own platform either; you need the server hardware to do it and need knowledge on how to host these kinds of things. I’d rather run a TS3 server and a forum together than run a Revolt platform.

characterslimits So, you would rather live in a country where you don’t have rights and hide from the police 24/7 rather than escaping to a country where you do have rights?

Countries with rights still have laws… the United States, the land of the “free”, still has laws you have to follow. If you can’t follow them, then pay the consequences. Your argument is invalid and does not make sense.

Discord isn’t going under any time soon, and it’s only getting bigger and better. If you want to use Revolt, be my guest. I don’t agree with the platform being suitable for TF. Look at what happened with Mumble. Alternative platforms for TF have lead to wasted resources. My objection still stands.

• I don’t think any critique against Revolt for being similar to Discord is a good reason not to use the platform. That is by design; because the app seems familiar to Discord users, many of whom are not tech-savvy, it can easily be adopted.

The reason you should consider Revolt is because it does not have a Privacy Policy that disregards the actual privacy of those who use it, unlike Discord.

Other apps that have been brought up are just as great but the main takeaway from this thread should be: Discord is not a universal platform. It shouldn’t be considered the gold standard of messaging apps because it’s quite the opposite of that in terms of their practices.