let's talk about indef ban appeal form question 6

• So.. I'm not entirely the most reliable source to comment on this but here's my two cents.

The indefinite bans list is pretty much just a text page containing the answer to question 1 to the indefinite bans request for the player with a link to the request page on the forum. Presumably, although I haven't seen it myself, a players entry is completely deleted if and when an appeal is approved, as I don't see a list of IPs being indefinitely banned without an account tied to them.

But I'm also not entirely sure if the indefbans list that admins can see is just for log purposes or if the server actually uses that list to keep players banned on the server, so take that with a grain of salt.

But from a quick CTRL F of the list, there are ~170 banned players and around 800 banned IP addresses. 1 player has 22 IP addresses linked to his profile alone and I see several other people with 10+. Naming no names here though.

My best guess is that question 6 primarily exists as just a means to ensure that the player cannot be banned by any means, maybe a console /unban (IP) is done when removing the ban to ensure they're cleared out. I'm just speculating here with what I have.

Still, that begs the question of whether or not we should be pruning IP addresses or not, especially as the ban bypassing ones are almost always VPNs

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

erin as I don't see a list of IPs being indefinitely banned without an account tied to them.

We do have some lists like this FWIW, and there are also chances that IP's overlap / similar in the indef ban list. It's useful to get an IP address to make sure it's not actually associated with other accounts that have been permbanned for other reasons, and if so you can make sure they're not being banned for someone elses ban for example.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK