A completely free VPS that is better than the one you're paying for

• Maybe the title is a bit clickbaity, but if you have a VPS that costs less than $25/month, it's most likely not wrong.

You might know that platforms like AWS and Google Cloud have a free tier for their cloud services. You might also know that signing up for it is not worth it at all because you really don't get that much, and if you accidentally go beyond the free tier limits, you'll suddenly start racking up costs. Oracle apparently wants to challenge that, because they offer the following configuration for free, forever:

CPU: 4x Ampere Altra ARMv8.2-A @ 3.00GHz
    RAM: 24GB DDR4 ECC
    Storage: 200GB NVMe SSD
    Network: 1Gbit/s, 10TB bandwidth/month
    IPs: 2 IPv4, 2x /56 IPv6
    Other: running 24/7, root access, VNC, choice from 23 locations

I've been testing it out for myself, and I can confirm that these specs are actually what they look like. You can't tell that it's an ARM CPU from the performance. I've also been trying to find the hidden gotchas of this deal, but it looks like there really aren't any. They've even made it so that your account can't get billed by default, so you can never accidentally go beyond the limits.

Link:
    https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/

Benchmark:

• alright, ive checked this out and i can also confirm everything except for storage. i appear to be limited to uhhh about 45GB with no clear way to change that.

1gaah.png

• I've tried to sign up and it fails at the very end. I don't have details but looks like it refuses to complete the test transaction after verifying my card.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager