• Old one was a flop, but I'm confident if we add some tweaks and twists we can make a fun server which is way more original than the skyblock server, and presumably easier to maintain and modify as well. I don't really know the details of why the old one failed, but surely we could remedy that? The old files for it probably also exist so we could use those as a template for creating a new SMP. Having a SMP server would also turn us into a bigger network, with multiple gamemodes and servers to play on. We could advertise a wider variety of gameplay and do so on more categories on websites.

🥺

• Perhaps someone could make a proof of concept server (I would if i can figure it out) and adopt it into the TF network depending on its success? This would let TF do other things while still having the possibility of another server which may benefit the network.

• How exactly is this original at all? After the whole skyblock fiasco I would expect this to be a completely original SMP idea to avoid hypocrisy.

Miasmus if we add some tweaks and twists we can make a fun server which is way more original than the skyblock server, and presumably

What tweaks and twists?

It’s also worth noting that this idea will most probably not be implemented due to current circumstances.

RedEastWood What tweaks and twists?

A custom map, perhaps with different terrain, mineshaft and cave generation to provide more interesting exploration. We could have a NPC that gives quests, or new mobs that roam the world. New tools? Armor? More progression?

RedEastWood It’s also worth noting that this idea will most probably not be implemented due to current circumstances.

Miasmus Perhaps someone could make a proof of concept server (I would if i can figure it out) and adopt it into the TF network depending on its success? This would let TF do other things while still having the possibility of another server which may benefit the network.

I understand TF isn't exactly the best staffed and powerful network, but I think a SMP has much more potential than the skyblock server and may attract more players than it. Even if we can't add it any time soon, it may be a good backup idea if the skyblock server flops or dies off for some reason.

Miasmus I understand TF isn't exactly the best staffed and powerful network, but I think a SMP has much more potential than the skyblock server and may attract more players than it.

First of all, this isn't a competition. The skyblock server is here to stay and I'm not sure why you're comparing the two.

Miasmus A custom map, perhaps with different terrain, mineshaft and cave generation to provide more interesting exploration. We could have a NPC that gives quests, or new mobs that roam the world. New tools? Armor? More progression?

This is all standard for any SMP server nowadays. RWG is overused, the Quests and Towny plugins are also overused. New tools and armour would have to be very original in order to one-up current SMP servers. The tweaks and features you've listed aren't really all that original.

The only alternative I can see is a modded survival, but that would require a lot of effort on the client's end to join.

lyicx anarchy

Anarchy servers pride themselves on having no rules and no bans. This is impossible with ATLAS's rules and regulations.

Chats will be monitored and cleansed, players attempting to lag the server will be banned, and the whole essence of anarchy doesn't make sense if we have rules at all.

If TF gets anarchy it will simply be a glorified Factions/SMP server because rules and bans will still exist.

•   RedEastWood

RedEastWood The only alternative I can see is a modded survival, but that would require a lot of effort on the client's end to join.

Provided we use something like Technic launcher to host a modpack, the effort would be put to a minimum, and I think many people would be willing to put up with a few minutes of installing a mod pack. Also, some others have also been asking for a modded server, specifically Yukari was interesting in a pixelmon server.

Miasmus specifically Yukari was interesting in a pixelmon server.

We wouldn't be able to compete at all with the official pixelmon server, so I can only see this suggestion catering to a select few people on TF who want pixelmon - which tbh isn't worth the dev effort and time at all.

•   RedEastWood What about a tech based SMP? A lot of people enjoy tech based modpacks, and as far as I know there aren't a lot of those out there, especially big ones which have more than a 10 player limit.

RedEastWood The skyblock server is here to stay and I'm not sure why you're comparing the two.

I think the SMP is more reliable. If the skyblock server fails, we are back to just original TF, with our small playerbase. A SMP server could be sort of a 'backup'. Even now the skyblock server consistently has maybe 2-3 players.

•   Miasmus I'll have a look, but if there aren't servers with more than 10 player limits, that is probable because a tech modpack server is very resource intensive. TF is in the middle of budget cuts, and I will definitely not be able to justify exorbitant resources to Ryan for this cause.

I will still have a look though, maybe the reason for small player limits is different.

Miasmus Even now the skyblock server consistently has maybe 2-3 players.

2-3 players more than we had before the skyblock, and in all honesty I see this SMP idea having the same-ish player numbers.

•   RedEastWood We seem reluctant to take donations or any money to support the network - why is that? Surely there is no shame in letting people pay for the upkeep of a server they enjoy to play on, especially if they do so on their own accord.

•   Miasmus I and a lot of other members of TF aren't going to install some modpack to play a very tiny SMP. A modded server would have significantly less players than vanilla.

•   RedEastWood Last time we had an SMP it lagged because so many people wanted to play on it. Clearly there's a demand and it will stay as long as the server is maintained properly.