Discussion on appointing / not appointing people I like more than Ryan does

• Can’t wait to see how long this lasts. And not to be a dick but where have you been for the past few months - you could have been contributing to development. But when you get an Executive position now you show up…

So basically we’re getting another Jerom (Prozza), someone who was the Lead Developer but barely ever contributed to the forums and in-game activity on the server, and in the end, though he made several contributions, went really inactive in the end so much so he could not be the Lead Developer.

I am not pleased with this appointment in all honesty and you should have picked Video.

•   Ivan With all due respect, I haven't got a whole lot of choices and I picked who I believe will be best for the role, not who you and the community think will talk to you the most.

And while Video is more active in game and on the forums, I don't believe in this case he was the better candidate for such a position.

As with this and everything else, if you don't like who I have appointed, you have no obligation to continue to be active here.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @'Ryan' Then don’t pick one at all for the time being until you feel comfortable or pick an indefinite one? This is literally one of the positions in which we don’t need a Lead Developer to continue development. You already sort of control the developer flow anyway.

Using the excuse “if you don’t like it, leave” all the time makes me sick, as that is not how we have done things here until you showed up. I am a member of the community. I am going to voice my opinion, whether you like it or not. Positions like these should be led to the community picking them, and now we have someone who has been inactive as all hell leading development. Good job

•   Ivan I am very happy with my choice, he was considered the last time I needed to fill the position, and he's been active (As I've said before) in development channels, and has helped us out on more than a few occasions with new features and investigating bugs. That's not always clear because there is no need.

And it's not an excuse, it's the way this works. I'm running this server how I feel it is best to run it, and if you don't like it, either actually do something to help, or find somewhere else to bitch and moan, because you're contributing diddly squat on here.

Positions like this should be appointed based on who is actually capable of doing the role, not a fucking popularity contest which is why we've historically ended up with woefully under skilled people doing executive roles, and significant corruption in previous years.

TLDR - Either actually DO something to help make the server better, or get off your soap box and take it some place else.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' This is the problem with you. You justify making decisions with “you haven’t done shit so this was a good choice”.

In case you haven’t checked, hi - I’m an OP. I’m not a developer and I’m not an admin. I have every right to call you out on decisions you make. You are the owner of the server. I have contributed a lot to this server and I believe I have every right to criticize this move, especially with development…

Letting a community vote, even with choices that you pick, I would be pleased with. But how did you get your position? Oh, right. The community VOTED you in. The biggest role of the server was decided by the community. If you got candidates and even gave the community a choice to pick from those said candidates I would be pleased.

I don’t like how you made this decision but I frankly disagree with it.

•   Ivan You are absolutely within your rights to call me out, but don't expect me to do anything about you feeling upset that you didn't get to put your 10 cent in to something that has nothing to do with you.

As per the executive policy, the community has no right to vote on any appointments I make to executive, or how I run this server generally. I'll do what I feel is in the best interest of the server, and where I see the need to consult with specific individuals or the community, I will do so.

And for the record, how I was appointed to this position, has no relevance to how I chose to run the server. I made clear from when I put my hat in the ring to run this server that this would be my style, and I've clarified it since.

You don't like the decision I've made, good on you, but it doesn't change anything.

As I said, if you want to actually do something productive, actually do something and get involved, if not, feel free to continue crying here that you didn't get the person you happened to like more to be an executive.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' Okay first off, guess what? I don’t care that Video didn’t get Lead Developer. I care about an efficient, agile, Lead Developer who can lead our server to new heights, never seen before. And Paldiu unfortunately has been so inactive I question his reliability.

Secondly, you’re right in the sense some times you have to make tough decisions that the community doesn’t like but are in the best interest of the server. This however, is a decision that could have just been prevented by waiting until the right opportunity came to appoint a Lead Developer. If you think this was the right opportunity, then great, good on you.

Thirdly, how you were appointed to your position very much so correlates to how you run this server, otherwise you may have not been voted in. You told people how you were going to run the server and that is what got you voted in, correct?

I’m not bitching and moaning. I’m confused. I’m confused why you’re taking criticism in such an odd manner and I’m confused why I have to be a developer or an admin; someone who is contributing to the server, to make a valid argument.

•   Ivan I'd love to see that as well, but realistically, you're never going to see it on this server... People who are ticking every possible box that you want, are highly unlikely to agree to work on TF out of the goodness of their heart.

As I've said, I do think this was the right thing to do, that's sort of been my point from the start.

As again for how I became owner, I again see no correlation like you seem to, I was voted in because that's what the policy required, the policy for executives and most other things, require no such action.

I'm not saying you have to be a developer or an admin, I'm saying you seem to spend a hell of a lot of time seemingly going out of your way to critique the way I and others try to run this server, and seem to do very little to try to actually improve things other than critique, which sometimes is great, but generally doesn't do much more than waste both of our times, because as I've said already I don't see this as a valid argument, which is why I highlighted how maybe you should stop screaming that you didn't get what you wanted, and do something to contribute in a meaningful way...

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' Didn’t you change that policy?

And also as someone who has been here since 2012. I’m not trying to be a supervisor who doesn’t do shit and has to yell at everyone when they disagree. I’m just stating my opinion. I’m just Ivan. Half of the shit I say on here is just shitposting. I don’t expect the server to go a different direction because of things I say. If I had time maybe I would get back on my feet and start being a developer and admin again, but unfortunately there’s just not enough free time in my schedule as of late.

Again, as I said, the point of my argument is I don’t care Video didn’t get Lead Developer, and I’m not trying to be rude about it. What I’m saying is Paldiu just may not be the guy. And hell, who knows, maybe Video wouldn’t be either.

How do you improve a server without criticism?

• People are so quick to call bullshit and bitch and moan. At least wait until Paul has done something as an ELD to have these concerns. The man hasn’t been an executive for even a day and you’re already down his throat. Wait and see how he performs, then bitch about it all you want.

•   RedEastWood What has he done in the past few months? His last merged PR to the main branch was merged April 12. His last PR was May 8 and it got closed 27 days ago for inactivity. All he has done is review and approve other peoples’ changes in the past 2 months.

I just don’t see how appropriate it is to appoint someone to a position such as this with this kind of activity as of late. I appreciate all the work he has done for the server beforehand, but this activity as a developer is outrageous to be ELD.

• Frankly, I could care less about not getting the elite title. I am still learning the ropes of how it all works and am far from perfect.

What I do care about is if the person selected is efficient and fast. This is actually one of the main reasons I had planned to adapt a philosophy of "what I say, goes", as it means less time is wasted arguing about something and more time is allocated to... actually developing. This is good, as it means more changes can be made in a single timeframe and thus benefits the server as a whole.

I bring this up because Paldiu's activity concerns me. Prior to his promotion, his activity in terms of contributions was pretty slim. I fear that this inactivity could carry over into his time as the Lead Developer and result in developers working even more inefficiently and sluggishly. Of course, Paldiu's activity could totally skyrocket as a result of this promotion but it's still food for thought.

image.png

•   videogamesm12 I understand the concerns. My activity is prevalent in the developer discord channel, however I understand the frustration when it comes to presenting forum and game activity.
    In my defense, here are my arguments for both:
    I am not in need of posting on the forums nor am I in need of reading things posted on the forums as in most cases all development cases are raised VIA a Jira Ticket or directly through Github.
    As for in game time, the only reason I would need to get on minecraft would be to bug and feature test things within current and future releases of TFM. Because I am not an administrator, nor do I intend on acting as one, these two outlets are of little importance to me as I am not constantly policing the community, which inevitably is what the forums are for. Yes I understand that people may raise feature requests and bug issues on the forums which is why I do check up once in a while. However, I am always active on the discord.

Furthermore, I reached out to Ryan after fleeks departure, and let him know that i was available for the lead development position if he needed to elect someone. I have not made much contribution recently but this is due to another project I had been spearheading which functions as a general commons library for paper. I had informed Ryan that should I be appointed, I would drop all my other projects specifically to maintain development until we can build a stable dev team that can all contribute and lessen the workload on the current set of developers, which is regretfully few.

I hope this clarifies some if not all of the questions you may have or confusion you may be experiencing.

•   characterslimits Because I wanted an experienced Java developer who also had experience running development teams.

Video as I think he's confessed himself is not all that experienced as a Java developer, And Elmon is not a Java developer at all. We have no other developers left at this point. Though that is not the reason for appointing Paldiu.

Paldiu is an experienced Java developer, and I've seen run other development teams in the past... I have confidence that he can run the team going forward, and that he can juggle the various priorities I'm going to push on him, and that he can delegate that down to the team, while also trying to bring in new developers to the team to help pick up the slack.

Paldiu gave a very lengthy and well written application when I chose my last ELD so I took that into consideration, it was exceptionally close between Fleek and Paldiu when I appointed Fleek previously, which is why when Paldiu made me aware that he would still be open to the position, I took some time to consider it, and felt that overall he is the best candidate for the role.

Wild1145

• The issue here is the lack of transparency with our new lead developer.
    To our perspective, the lead developer is inactive, and slow, but to Ryan, he is active and hard working. Because we're not high ranking users, we don't have the privileges to oversee what Paldiu have done. Because we can't see Paldiu's progress, we assume he has done nothing. Ryan has the owner rank, which allows him to see more information than us and to actually view Paldiu's progress. Paldiu has probably been doing some stuff with Ryan that we cannot see, which distorts our view of Paldiu's activity. If we can see what Paldiu has been doing, it can give us a better idea of his activity.

•   Tizz all executives have an activity log, its mandatory by the policy

Beyond the duties listed above, Executive duties include keeping a log of their and their assistants actions beyond normal administrating. This log must be posted on a public board and be updated in a timely manner.

https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/1671-ecm-activity-log <--- mine !

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey