Airplane Server for TF

@'Reperak' I ran a TFM test server and it worked fine. I heard that WorldEdit has some parts that don't work on Tuinity, but I haven't actually seen anything not working.

Could we see startup logs, logs after idling, and logs while you do normal freeop tasks (like world edit etc)

• I have heard that the main reason that all of these optimizations aren't just included in Paper is that they are potentially unsafe and can cause compatibility issues. I have said this before, but I am in general not a fan of using forks that don't have widespread usage because it increases the chance of running into obscure problems that no one on the internet has encountered before.

•   StevenNL2000 this. I used tuinity on the smp server and it broke worldborder and brought along a bunch of weird quirks. Plus, tuinity is almost always behind the official paper version. We'd have to wait for airplane to update tuinity and for tuinity to update paper which doesn't happen as often as you would hope.

Object

• Object. This will be a chain of waiting for updates and I simply just don’t like using a fork of a fork; you get the idea. I’m with Packs on this one

• @'Reperak' I have tested them. I used tuinity on 1.16.5 and it broke a bunch of stuff with villagers. It was literally a vanilla server that I host for friends. As soon as I switched back to paper the issues "magically" went away.

I'm sorry but you can't even provide any raw data on Tuinity or Airplane having better performance. And just because it's theoretically easier to update something still doesn't gurantee any consistent updates

• @'Reperak' maybe it's because I'm on mobile but I don't see anything against Paper itself (or is that supposed to be purpur). I'll have a look on a free op server and a vanilla one to see if tuinity is still breaking some vanilla stuff

• What I don't understand is like... aren't we in a situation where we don't have a shortage of RAM? These types of optimizations are usually for people who don't want to pay money for that, and I just don't think we need these optimizations since we already have the RAM. In my opinion, it's better to stick with a more widely used and probably more reliable server software.

• @'Reperak' Even so, we also aren't at a shortage for that, either? The server owner literally runs a hosting service. I get RAM from my experience running a server on my own. Things like having a lot of mobs rendered (like what Airplane is supposed to optimize) puts more stress on RAM than it does on the CPU.

• I'd also like to add that even with the new Paper system, Airplane hasn't received an update in a while. The last update it received from upstream (Tuinity) was July 8th I think. Paper has released many new builds since July 8th, so I don't believe that Airplane is receiving updates consistently as you said because of the new Toothpick system

• I don’t see what benefit this would have for us at the moment? I played on the server recently and it didn’t seem to have any performance problems (unless I just came on on a lucky day) so we shouldn’t really be switching to random forks of other forks of server software

• @'Reperak' that's... not really an excuse though. Even I was dev I kept everything up to date (why doesn't anyone else do this????). The only active dev at the moment is video. Not really fair to say that.

And I didn't say it's not actively maintained. What I said was that it's behind on the Paper patches. That's not misinformation, that's a literal objective fact and you can see that on the GitHub. The whole thing of toothpick making it easier to update paper does not gurantee the developer will

•   Panther What Airplane is trying to optimize here is the AI of mobs, not the rendering of mobs
    When a mob does some task, they use their AI and that uses CPU. This adds up when you have a lot of mobs. Airplane's goal is to cut useless AI processing as much as possible to reduce CPU usage.

Panther @'SupItsDillon' What's the point of using Paper then? If both of you say that our server is so powerful that we don't need optimizations, maybe we should just switch back to Spigot.

Telesphoreo A new release has just been published an hour ago.
    https://ci.tivy.ca/job/Airplane-1.17/