Event server Premiere - Saturday 3rd @ 7:00PM BST

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • We are pleased to announce to you all that TotalFreedom now has a new sub server for players to enjoy; events!

The server is managed by the executive community manager team with the help of the event hosts to allow for much more innovative and fun events which would not otherwise be possible to host on the regular freedom servers. While the server is still new and continuously in the works, we'll be working to get even more events onto it in the future so that there will be a countless amount of opportunities and possibilities for what events can be ran for everyone to be able to enjoy in the future. We hope that this will become the new go-to server for any official event now ran and that you will all have fun while you play.

Come visit this Saturday for the opening event which will be brought to you by @"Ashaz"#12 (for more details on that specifically, check the event announcement on Discord)

!i will be frank with you all, i had shyrix type this because head is a prune, but its okay i contributed and i did the cool banner, im proud of it 😎

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• So what went wrong here?

its been like a day or so since the reveal and i feel i owe some sort of reason why shit went tits up.

im just going to be extremely upfront and honest here with everyone not just event hosts or specifically ryan or my assistant. to put it shortly, i dont know what the fuck im exactly doing (in terms of setting up minecraft server)

to put it in a longer perspective, i've never had experience with backend server shit of an official scale like this, nor has my plus one. the most i know is plugin go here and maybe config edit here. im genuinely figuring things as i go and i did lean on event hosts, notably ashaz in this case to source the plugins here. is it ashaz's fault, fuck no. am i blaming ashaz, fuck no. he did what he could with what he could find and on testing, it was completely fine during testing. however a lack of hindsight was had when it was handing more then 4 players. more notably i couldn't tell whos on whos team whilst moderating or what the fuck was going on, neither did anyone spectating.

it was the last minute anti cheat we kinda cocked up on since again, first timer. you hand me a list of anti cheat solutions and i wouldn't know where to start and what benefit it brings the most. i once again went with ACR from suggestion from ashaz. again i must emphasize i am not deflecting any blame on here. it was last minute and thrown on after the bugging despite asking days ago. sure i could've went through the headache of trial and error to see what works and what doesn't and that'll be one of the things i'd be most guilty of out of the whole thing that i didn't. then again anti cheat in my view is one of those things thats quite unpredictable as it could be good in testing (which it was in this case) then not as good in actual practice like the whole fucking setup.

should highlight another thing that you could consider a slight fault is that we weren't screaming about what the event actually was, initially we were rolling with CTF until ashaz couldn't get anything to work to a standard so he proposed to switch the event. i have this rule that if something is announced as something it goes by what it was at the announced time. and as it wasn't announced at the time i allowed him to switch it. i dont consider this a major fuckup but it did cause confusion with a few people in the event host circle. the map wasn't changed as holy fucking shit i'd rather rub my dick against sandpaper then have certain people breathing down my neck whilst im waiting for a fucking new map to be concieved. and i leave that at the discretion of the event host anyway, like i do with a lot of things. i genuinely dont fucking care how event hosts want to go around their events aslong as they work, can be enjoyed and are done in a timely manner with an announcement and a commitment to that announcement.

i think thats pretty much much everything that went wrong. i will say even if events go tits up it does bring a healthy change to a player count and thats pretty much the end goal here. although ideally you, me and everyone else would prefer if an end product is actually stable and not shitted out as fast as it can be just so people can actually say you're doing your job properly despite in this case working with environments yourself and your group are about as experienced as a virgin

So what do you plan to do about this?

im not going to make any promises at all, im not that type of person to make promises unless im 100% certain about the outcome. even in this position where everything i say and do im highly held accountable for and would get molested if i dont hold to it. what im saying is, the likelihood of the next event being a hole in one wont be certain, but im not saying im not gonna try either. of course i am. the following im about to talk about i have not spoken through with anyone.

ideally we'll have to do a lot of thinking over this, figure out the anti cheat shit and plugin shit wise. go back to rolling test events before the main event which i can directly do now so thats fucking sweet, i did say it would be as standard but in this occasion we just had event hosts for secrecy shit & it couldn't be spur of the moment as its whitelisted on NM.

event wise, im thinking of doing a bit of a dual effort to have event hosts (when they've not fucked off on holiday or banging on about their exams. which was most of them for the past month, hence its been dry up to this event) continue hosting their freedom 1 events that have worked in the past (i.e build battle, prophunt, etc) per usual whilst also crafting setups of plugins, configs, bollocks needed for certain events and roll out test events on the events server in the meantime. once we've got a neat collection of "instances" we'll start officially having more on that server. hopefully in that time i've become more experienced in this area and have more of the benefit of hindsight

i am still yet to talk to ryan about permission nodes, he wants a list of those needed for event hosts and normal ops but i wouldn't know where to start with that as again, i dont do any of this on a usual basis, im a server virgin. but i did mention that i dont think it would be as convenient if they're all managed by NM as different potential events will require different permissions for different plugins. obviously theres a security benefit of that, of only ryan being able to tamper with them and no one else which i believe nothing in game can fuck with them. but i still have only entrusted my assistant to access that VPS, and no one else.

will i ever give anyone else access? it would be ideal right you fucking virgin. to answer that, the most ill open it up to is the ELD which is a conversation i have yet to make. im not fond of giving all or any of the event hosts access mostly because then it'll be hard to keep track of who the fuck is doing shit which is a song and dance i dont want to have especially as the event host barrier of getting in isn't that deep. and real name bla bla shit fuck wont add much on that one.

Conclusion

these things could have been brought up and handled privately, i could have let this lingered and shit but its just something i felt i had to be open about why we fucked up. even though i dont believe pointing fingers at anyone really helps at all. ashaz has already made an apology thread even though i dont believe he needed to but he was genuinely passionate for this, man was going on about this'd be his chance to shine and shit. i dont blame him for any of this, we were all reletively inexperienced with this type of shit and since i had no knowing or hindsight here as lack of experience there could be no way i could correct anything especially when it was all good during the testing phases and nothing of note came up really near the end. and despite people saying its like drinking water to make something of this magnitude, its not quite like that when you dont know where to start and to go to.

im not having shyrix go through this post as i usually do when its executive related. its 3:30 in the morning and quite franky i felt i needed to speak as myself here. which might be convoluted when im writing shit like this. no formal "stick up my ass" speak, just my perspective, my all lower grammar and my less then quirky analogies.

i do hope that i've explained and answered pretty much everything here to everyone here. do reach out directly if i've missed anything here.

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

•   lyicx I definitely think it would be wise to appoint a specific person (not necessarily an event host) to manage the backend side of things. In my opinion, experience with server administration is not something that should be expected from the Community Manager. You don't have to run a one-man show.

• The transparency in this thread is refreshing and much appreciated.

Though I haven't read through all of it, mostly because it's of no importance to me, it's good that you let yourself explain (lack of a better word) the process and why things went tits-up.
    There's a first-time for everything, and first-times are learning experiences.