Proposed Discord Rules

• Hi Everyone,

After a number of conversations and threads, it was decided to refresh and re-work the Discord rules. There has been some initial feedback from the Discord staff which I will post in a reply to discuss here but this is what has been proposed by me based on our current rules in an effort to make things somewhat easier to understand for everyone.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• So that formatted about as poorly as I expected it would... Yay Flarum.

The current main topic of conversation is around rule 1A, and if that should be an indefinite ban or not. My personal 2 cent is if you're breaking the discord TOS, the only grounds for an appeal should be if you weren't... Otherwise I'm not sure a "Sorry boss I made a mistake" appeal is really going to cut it, but open to thoughts.

Also would appreciate other peoples input on this before we look to formalise this as the new rules.

Wild1145

• I've uploaded a second draft in an effort to clarify the original 1A rule that was causing some confusion.

Wild1145

• I don't understand the necessity of an unappealable permanent ban because there is no precedent for this despite the fact that we have been bound by various terms of service in the past decade, including those of ProBoards, OVH, and Hetzner.

• Remove section 1, leave ONLY any content that breaks discord tos or community guidelines because 1b is shit authoritarian governments do.
    Remove 2b, this is covered in discord tos
    2d is also covered in discord tos and community guidelines.
    in 2e, replace "drama, arguing or insulting" with just "insulting", people on this server cause drama just by existing so i dont think its exactly fair to include this.
    in 2f, content that is advertising with no intent of sharing content within shared link (i cant exactly think of the wording for this but if you dont like this wording then just remove the rule all together)

• @StevenNL2000#1650 & @neo#1734

While I am a firm advocator for second chances, they can only be issued where we can control our own destiny, and that's to say if people are breaking in this case the Discord T&C's, we are at risk of best case scenario getting a slap on the wrist, but more likely the entire server getting shut down and wiped, and as I understand more recently, the admins of said server also getting banned, along with any servers they also have setup... So If you're going to post content or engage in activities on our discord where you're breaking the T&C's, I don't see there being any reasonable way in which those users can be re-welcomed back to the community when the risk they have then posed to warrant that ban is so great.

I think we as a community are frankly lucky that we've never had a run in because I'm quite sure over the years T&C's of services we use have been broken, and that's something we're very lucky hasn't bitten us.

It's why I've set the burden for infinite bans so high and there are very few reasons you will ever fall into that category, in reality I would be surprised if anyone ever does, but it's either that or adding a "And these are guidelines and the staff can do what they want" clause at the end which I think will piss more people off.

Wild1145

• @Tozzit#1730 Section 1 is a firm requirement, 1A to protect the Discord Guild, and 1B to protect the company which is managing and hosting it. I quite frankly don't want people bringing the company or server into disrepute and ending up with lawsuits or other shit on my hands because someone thought it'd be funny to trick people into things or nonsense like that. I've explained more about 1A in my previous post here, and 1B is there to protect me, my staff and frankly the funding line for this community to continue having servers and such...

2B I'm happy to remove, I think it's there for additional clarity as I suspect very few people read the Discord T&C's fully...

2E - I'll remove the examples entirely because I don't think just changing it to insulting is representative of the intent behind the rule.

2F - Can you give me an example of what you mean? I've tried to word that rule in such a way that unless you're following the server advertising rules in #server-chat - It should be no advertising of any kind where it may take an audience away from TF as a server, so posting links to your personal projects and non-minecraft related stuff, I don't see as any major issue, but posting links to other MC Servers or server addresses are a no-no, but I'm not sure if that's what you were getting at?

Wild1145

• @wild1145#1759 If your intent is that the bar for this rule is very high, the current draft does not give me that feeling at all. The way I read the current version, an unappealable permanent ban can be put in place by DMing you on Discord and you replying with "Yes". That is a standard multiple times lower than that of an indefinite ban from the server, which can even be appealed.

• @wild1145#1760

Section 1 is a firm requirement, 1A to protect the Discord Guild, and 1B to protect the company which is managing and hosting it. I quite frankly don't want people bringing the company or server into disrepute and ending up with lawsuits or other shit on my hands because someone thought it'd be funny to trick people into things or nonsense like that. I've explained more about 1A in my previous post here, and 1B is there to protect me, my staff and frankly the funding line for this community to continue having servers and such...

What? You arent hosting the discord guild, and protecting you from what exactly? How are you gonna get sued because people talk bad about your company?? A company not allowing people criticizing itself is frankly a new one for me. id argue the rule ruins the reputation of the company more than anyone on the discord could, atleast for me.

@wild1145#1760 2F - Can you give me an example of what you mean? I've tried to word that rule in such a way that unless you're following the server advertising rules in #server-chat - It should be no advertising of any kind where it may take an audience away from TF as a server, so posting links to your personal projects and non-minecraft related stuff, I don't see as any major issue, but posting links to other MC Servers or server addresses are a no-no, but I'm not sure if that's what you were getting at?

To be honest im not exactly sure how to put what im trying to say into words but i want people to still be able to post to stuff like their personal project but not excessively, i want people to be able to post links where they wont have to worry about being banned for advertisement and only people that have intent to advertise will be banned.

@Tozzit#1789 What? You arent hosting the discord guild, and protecting you from what exactly? How are you gonna get sued because people talk bad about your company?? A company not allowing people criticizing itself is frankly a new one for me. id argue the rule ruins the reputation of the company more than anyone on the discord could, atleast for me.

Sorry, that was poor wording on my part, the hosting and managing side of things was more around the server generally. My issue is not with criticism / similar, it's with content or activity which would ultimately or could ultimately cause us to suffer losses as a company. I am happy to re-word things to hide that rule away like you'll find on just about every other discord guild, but I was keen to be transparent with the reasoning behind the rules rather than adding a catch-all at the end which most discord guilds and other communities tend to have...

@Tozzit#1789 To be honest im not exactly sure how to put what im trying to say into words but i want people to still be able to post to stuff like their personal project but not excessively, i want people to be able to post links where they wont have to worry about being banned for advertisement and only people that have intent to advertise will be banned.

The issue comes with defining "have intent to advertise" because that's something I toyed with as well, and couldn't find a good way to word it without it ultimately still being very subjective... I think the way I had hoped the rule was worded was to make clear that if you're advertising something that we feel is competing with TF or could take our player base, that's an office which could result in a ban, but if you're posting a link to music, GitHub, websites and all these other general things then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I'm happy to tweak the wording but I'm struggling to find a good way to word it if I'm honest.

Wild1145

• @DragonSlayer2189#1806 I'll look to re-word and re-work that part. In short if you're in server chat the servers rules should be being followed but using that as an excuse to DM advertise for example isn't going to be taken well.

Wild1145