Official Resignation from Developer Status

@hyfae#1438 on to bigger and better things

There is nothing better than spending an unhealthy amount of time as an unpaid worker on a semi-fascist server. It is the height of living.

Good luck, it's been nice working with you even though it was short.

• @Miwojedk#1445 Of course I do, it's whenever a politician does something I disagree with.

ONT: Packs has made some great contributions to the server plugins over the years and I'm sad to see him go, especially since you were our last active developer working with TFM. Does this also mean PLEX is going to be put on hold/cancelled?

@Darth#1452 Does this also mean PLEX is going to be put on hold/cancelled?

Yes. If development continues, which is unlikely at this point, if will not be geared specifically towards TF and not be a complete drop in replacement for TFM which was the original plan.

• @Telesphoreo#1453 That's unfortunate. I was very much looking forward to seeing a more clean and stable TFM replacement. As it is now, TFM is full to the brim with useless features that just make it harder to continue dev work for it.

• @Darth#1454 the plan was to do a major sweep through and get rid of a bunch of junk in TFM this weekend. hoped to get some of the junk cleaned up to tide us over until Plex was ready but that's not happening now. sorry that's whoever the new dev will be's problem

• @DragonSlayer2189#1456 i saw that but it also gets rid of the shop and master builder stuff entirely. i appreciate the effort but I think a little too much of the wrong kind of bloat was removed. the whole point of Plex was to keep in the tfm exclusive features but have a much cleaner way of doing things that didn't require a bunch of repetitive code spread out all over the place like it is in TFM.

• @DragonSlayer2189#1456 The reason I removed Discord integration was because aside from the security concerns of linking a Minecraft account to a Discord server (one which has a bot that essentially has full access to the Minecraft server), it isn't needed to run a freedom server.

@Telesphoreo#1457 i saw that but it also gets rid of the shop and master builder stuff entirely.

I removed both for different reasons.

• I removed the shop because it should be handled in a plugin separate from the TotalFreedomMod.
    • I removed the masterbuilder stuff because I felt it wasn't necessary. Not every server owner wants to have a master builder world generate even though they will probably never use the Master Builder rank.

image.png

• Right so now I'm at a computer so here's a more in depth write up:

This mainly has to do with the fact that I hate working in corporate environments. I already deal with it on a daily basis, and the fact of the matter is that TF is a nice break because it's not all corporatized. I like just hanging out and being able to have fun without worrying. Being a dev was fun and was actually rewarding. Even though every day I got a few new issues, it was still rewarding to solve an issue. I genuinely care about the server and did my best to keep everything fully maintained. I regularly kept everything up to date and sweeped out a bunch of redundant stuff. That was part of the fun. However, at this point, it's no longer rewarding and just feels like a corporatized chore. If we had a fuckup, it was the meme for the day and it was funny and we got over it.
    This wasn't 100% determined by not having a panel. I was considering resigning before bringing it up with Wild in the first place, even over Discord DM's. Everyone from the community has been adapting to major changes. We went from ProBoards to MyBB to Flarum and lost the data 3 different times. We've all been adapting and I was perfectly fine to adapt to how Wild wanted to do it. At first everything was temporary and no promises were made or anything. However, the fact of the matter is, I'm simply burned out from being the only developer. I was burned out before, but I still made time for TF because it wasn't hard to just hop on and find a bug or do a quick patch. With the new system, it's just to inefficient for me. I'm sorry to sound like I'm complaining, and I've tried to adapt the best I can, but I simply won't settle for such inefficient methods on top of being burned out in the first place.
    I started coding once again back in early 2018 when I helped TFM with the major 1.13 API changes. I spent almost every day over the summer helping migrate everything for the massive 1.13 changes. It felt rewarding, and even though I got treated like shit, I still knew that I helped a lot. I'm not going to do that again though. I'm not going to give TF everything I have. Not because I can't, but because I just simply don't feel like it. I can just feel a repeat of the whole TFM thing back in 2018. I'm not going to go through it again.

Thanks y'all. It was a genuinely fun time as being a developer and helping with everything. I'd still like to keep admin because that at least doesn't feel like it's a job. I can just come on and talk to people and manage the server if it gets chaotic. It's not some fancy job with fancy protocols and all that other crap. I'd also like to apologize for my rudeness yesterday and the day before. That's on me, but at the same time I feel like that thread was made out of pure spite of pissing me off. I know the server isn't perfect, but that's literally the whole point of why I'm here: to make things better. Making threads like TFM is bloated and open source Plex open source Plex don't help anything. I know TFM is bloated and making a big deal about it doesn't help. The November update was underwhelming (and ultimately never actually got deployed unfortunately). I was planning for a mid November update which fixed a bunch of bugs within TFM and would have made things better. The plan was that after the mid November update was done, to start getting rid of a bunch of obseleted and useless features in TFM. I was going to skip December for an update since that's holidays and time you should be spending with family (or, well, at least not hooked to a computer screen imo). TFM would have been cleaned up for the January update to tide us over until Plex which would have been done by mid 2021. Making threads to intentionally piss me off is a douche move, especially when I'm actually active and working on Plex and TFM at the same time as a one man job. If I was inactive or not doing anything, then I do think bitching about it would have been perfectly justified. But I was actively working on everything and making those kind of threads drains me and adds to how already burned out I am. I was planning on appointing (or having the community vote on) taah and super for being devs if they wanted when Plex was done. I don't know (or really care) who becomes the new Dev / Lead Dev and what their direction for the server is. Anyways even though I may have had the shortest run of an executive position in the history of TF, I'm fine being an admin because it's a fun way to relax and chill with people.

Thanks for understanding.

• @videogamesm12#1464 I understand your view point but TotalFreedomMod was made for TotalFreedom specifically. Not a generic freedom server. We try to make stuff generic enough, but that doesn't solve the core issue of TotalFreedomMod: complex code repeated in a bunch of spread out places. TFM is catered towards TotalFreedom and its up to other server owners to adapt it for their own needs. Plex was intending to keep the features geared towards TotalFreedom, but unify how everything was ran and make it much friendlier for anyone to jump in and work with it. To work on TFM, you kind of have to know where everything is and how everything works and when to add something where specifically you have to add it (often in multiple places, which can be daunting for a first time dev).

• I'd like to tie up some loose ends real quick because it's better to do that now than later.

@Telesphoreo#1466 That's on me, but at the same time I feel like that thread was made out of pure spite of pissing me off.

My aim wasn't to piss you off with that thread, but I get why you feel that. I don't exactly remember what I was thinking at the time (it was like 6 AM and I hadn't slept) but I do know I created the thread out of frustration mainly because I didn't know why Plex wasn't open source and requests to know why were denied.

@Telesphoreo#1466 Making threads like TFM is bloated and open source Plex open source Plex don't help anything. I know TFM is bloated and making a big deal about it doesn't help.

The thread about how much TFM is bloated was going to be created as a way to highlight the bloat issue to the developers because I didn't think anyone really cared. This was mainly because nobody was being transparent about anything development related and hadn't been since the 2020 Ownership Crisis. I figured if I publicized the issue, it would hold the developers' feet to the fire and the issue would become a larger priority.

Thank you for your service.

image.png