Add emoji code support to minecraft chat

• Minecraft already has a few emotes built-in without the need of a texture pack, would it be possible to transform discord's emoji codes (eg. \:dagger\:) to actual emotes (🗡️)
    So, Not for long :dagger: becomes Not for long 🗡️:

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

• Neutral. This is unfortunately not as good as it sounds. The way it works is that Minecraft (mostly) supports the Unicode standard, which has some emojis built in. However, there is no one-to-one correspondence between Discord and Unicode, and we cannot support Discord's custom emojis at all without a resource pack. In other words, we can translate some of them, but it will be less than half.

• Given there is no really sensible way to do this, and it would involve a bit of a hacky way of mapping some of the emojis, I'm not sure it's a sensible thing to do.

I would appreciate input on if people would rather see the blank square [ ] thing or if they'd rather see the :nameofemojihere: type thing instead in chat, as that might be something we can do.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• The blank square is the most problematic as it doesn't provide any distinction (well, besides the presence or absence of the VS16 thing) between emojis that aren't already in Minecraft's font, especially because these emojis are often in messages that literally only include them.

• Would people be deeply troubled if we replaced the box with the text equivalent (ie :joy: instead of 😂 )? Feels like it would solve most of the issues we're seeing, and doesn't get into the weeds of the mess which is the MC emoji support...

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' yes this would be great
    when im ingame i see a bunch of discord messages that have the [] thing and i have no idea what they are saying, changing it to be like :rapeface: for example (thanks to miasmus for exposing me to that emoji) would make it easier to understand what a discord message is saying when youre looking at the ingame message

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

• Approved my counter suggestion under FS-399 to replace the white box with the text equivalent.

Wild1145