Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Lately, as some of you might know I've taken some charge over spawn after a series of really and quite honestly low quality spawns. This is just more of a PSA to make sure spawn is not fucked up as it's become apparent lately it can be and has been a bit shit. I feel a presentable spawn could be something that won't put people off instantly by leaving a positive first impression and would make them last beyond the single day and hopefully longer.

I just want to remind those who plan to change spawn to make it one of at least decent quality and worldguard it properly. I'm going to give a step by step on how to set spawn properly since I looked around on the proboards forum before I was a super and this really helped me out. I remember it going along the lines of this:

1. Find a suitable location, an easy way to do this quickly is /rtp and pray nothing is around.
    2. Paste a suitable schematic, ones can be found in this thread although very outdated and only has one large post of a collection of spawns and doesn't abide by the formatting Ryan wanted. Optionally you can build your own, I'm not fussed as long as it's of decent quality and you can leave it by walking.
    3. Use //wand and select the floor around spawn then proceed to do //expand vert
    4. /rg redefine spawn. I cannot tell you how many times someone's defined a new spawn region without the proper flags in place.

And if you can, please make paths or anything you think would look nice. An easy way to do this is to use the following brush command and smearing it around

//br set cyl 2 cobblestone,coarse_dirt,grass_block,dirt_path

Of course you could use your own blocks, maybe make a more man made path with bricks or something as long as it's presentable, and make sure they don't get obstructed by other people's scaffolding

Another thing I want to touch on is spawn clutter. I think we should proactively clear it. What I mean by that is remove unnecessary block/shulker spam or old bridging/scaffold trails so it stays looking cleaner for longer. Move actual builds off the paths if they end up on them by using //cut and make sure you inform the operator beforehand.

Finally, can we reduce the frequency of changing spawn every day. At a minimum at least every 3 or so days if you really have to. I think it'll give more sentimental value towards the location the longer its set as spawn. All of this is more of an effort to encourage building, engagement and retention by providing areas to publicly build and to eventually come back to. I hate the fact currently every spawn seems to be a throwaway monument with mess around it and it again lacks any real value.

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• or we could just....have a permanent spawn with a random teleport portal like a normal server? so it doesn't look like absolute garbage after 3 hours of people building sans and houses made of literally only oak wood planks and people practicing their bridging skills by making ugly ass dirt pillars

• I agree spawns should make a good impression on new players but without limiting freedom (too much).

I wouldn't put a time limit on spawns, in my opinion it's time for a new one when the area around the current one has become too messy or if there's not space for building anymore making it boring.

I remember somebody's saving previous spawns as warp locations so it's easier to re-visit them.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

@Tizz#18308 I wouldn't put a time limit on spawns, in my opinion it's time for a new one when the area around the current one has become too messy or if there's not space for building anymore making it boring.

we severely need to just stop changing spawn on a very frequent basis and support the longevity of such areas rather then switching them out frequently. thats why i kinda made this

@Tizz#18308 I remember somebody's saving previous spawns as warp locations so it's easier to re-visit them.

ashaz was doing that last i remember

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• Unpopular opinion, but I find living with the same spawn for more than a day already kind of dull. Basically, logging on to see the exact same thing I saw yesterday.

Additionally, I find over attractive spawns to be a loss for community spawns. I log on, see this wonderful spawn, and assume it's just some schematic that's overused rather than an OP who wanted to make a spawn.

@Captainclimber#18368 I find living with the same spawn for more than a day already kind of dull.

We've had cases in which the spawn area inspired interesting buildings / themes and were still fun after some days. In those cases killing it after a day would ruin the fun and take away some visibility from OPs who like to show their creations to other players.

@Captainclimber#18368 I find over attractive spawns to be a loss for community spawns

I don't see why can't OPs propose a spawn made by them. However, we need guidelines on spawn quality, which is why this thread exist.

• @StevenNL2000#18304 sorry, what I meant was having a spawn in its own sectioned off world, where you can go into a portal to random teleport into the flatlands/other worlds. This would probably mean something along the lines of creating a WorldGuard region in that world that you can't fly/TP out of. Ashaz's suggestion was to just have a permanent spawn in the flatlands world. It's kind of a boring way to handle it, but it's better than having spawn make the server look like an anarchy server all the time.

• @redeastwood#18352 while this could definitely be done, i am not sure if it should be, as i personally have found the smaller scale, less professional looking spawns to be quite endearing, i think that it may be best to have a community vote on this and see what we should do from there

@Captainclimber#18368 Additionally, I find over attractive spawns to be a loss for community spawns. I log on, see this wonderful spawn, and assume it's just some schematic that's overused rather than an OP who wanted to make a spawn.

If you assume that any spawn that is wonderful is an overused schematic, what does that say about the quality of community spawns?

@Panther#18381 I think it is important to have a spawn in the flatlands world itself because it is a center to build around and for players to see each other. Forcing a random teleport means there is nothing but flat grass around you for hundreds of thousands of blocks, which doesn't help with making the server feel alive.

• I'd like to add to the "PSA" that we should let online players know we're about to change spawn, e.g. with /announce or /say.

Spawn area's not just for spamming blocks, players can use it for giving their creations visibility to other players, I've seen in the past someone being a bit upset we did a "suprise new spawn" just after they built something and there was no urgent reason to change it.

• Since this thread has been bumped I might as well add something.

Instead of using the outdated thread from November, there are nearly 200 schematics with the word "spawn" in them. It can do for now as I found a decent one from there myself.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   erin I'd really like that thread to be updated and kept updated. I'd hoped to curate a bit of a library of good schems for spawns but it never really happened unfortunately.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @'Ryan' it would be steep work but I could spend some time this week going through them all and making note of the good ones and stuff.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   erin If there are ones you already use regularly that's a good place to start, I wanted people that use those schematics and find good spawns to post on that thread so we had a list of good ones, and ideally with screen shots and all that jazz.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK