Do we remove CoreProtect Data from the server from before April 2021?

• Remove CoreProtect data from the server from before April 2021 29

1. Yes (29) 100%
    2. No (0) 0%

In an effort to fix some issues, and to allow us to ultimately create the additional game-modes we want to launch, we need to make space on the TF Network and reduce the stupid amount of disk space that we currently use.

My current proposal which I'd like the community to provide input on, is if we remove any CoreProtect data from before April 2021 from the live server, and archive it off-site.

This won't impact the maps or any builds, but means any actions done before April 2021 will no longer be tracked (So any damage done before this date will not be practical to roll-back in short).

Based on the server size thread, I suspect this will free up a considerable amount of disk space in CoreProtect, and make it a lot more useable for admins. I'd like to get peoples thoughts before I go ahead and archive this data out though.

Cheers.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• As long as it’s archived in case of a necessary backup I think having the server run well and being able to provide the community with more things to do is a higher priority than old data being easily accessible

• @elmon#16588 This along with all the data before Feb 2021 and since I took over would all remain exported and archived on the ATLAS corporate sharepoint, if we ever looked to then wipe Freedom-01 in the future all the archives along with the maps and such could then be made available to folks.

Wild1145

• @DragonSlayer2189#16590 I think people would riot at the suggestion of it, which is why for now the worlds aren't something I'm looking at in terms of wiping. I'm hoping we might be able to find a smart way to delete the chunks from the server which were just loaded with no builds on, but if not I'm not worried about it yet either way.

Wild1145

• @StevenNL2000#16591 I'm not 100% sure, due to the size of the data MySQL gets un-happy when trying to do complex queries, so I can just go off what's on https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/477-server-size

February 5th 2021 Stats:
    Freedom 1 CoreProtect: 73.3GiB

April 10th 2021 Stats:
    Freedom 1 CoreProtect: 201.8 GiB

So it looks like it'd be ~ 100GB between Feb 1st and March 31st.

Wild1145

• @Darth#16595 It was this or wiping the entire server, I still feel it's a shit place to be because we should have access to all the data in real time, but this is crippling the server and my ability to host TF in a remotely cost effective way so this was the next best thing.

Wild1145

• I can't see there being enough griefs from before April that haven't already been accounted for for them to not be wiped.

If you wiped all of the data without asking anyone.. how many people would notice? Not many. Tens of gigs are being scored even though nobody would care about them.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• @Ashaz#16614 But that has nothing to do at all with this thread..?

Wild1145

• Why don't we, as a rule, say that all coreprotect data more than a month old is liable to being deleted? That way there wouldn't need to be a debate every time coreprotect's DB gets massive. I think other servers do this sort of thing.

• @wild1145#16592 Couldn't you use said coreprotect data to get the X,Y and Z position of a block that's been interacted with in the past?

If that's the case, you could find out which chunk the block belongs to using some basic math and make a list of which chunks to keep, and write a plugin/script to edit the region files to delete useless/chunks that have been uninteracted with.

Just a suggestion, tho.

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.