Unblock blocked commands - Discussion

• @UnderTails#13686 Out of scope of this conversation for one thing, and has had a number of threads on the matter. Until someone can propose a way to do it that doesn't fuck us over more, it's a non-starter...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @videogamesm12#13734 there are a lot of things that can crash the server maybe instead of blocking them entirely we should work to fix them lol it’s a freedom server it’s no good blocking commands because they can be used with intent of malice

/d p

• @Miwojedk#13752 I think the point is if it's well known and a very easy way to crash the server with no way to fix it, then we'd probably rather the command blocked rather than the server spending more time offline than online...

I'd be interested to know if there's a sensible way to modify //count - I think we already have a ticket open to investigate this as it's something I've used a fair bit as a noob builder, and is a fairly basic WorldEdit command that it feels like we should be able to support in some way or another. Likewise it might be worth us giving it another test now that we're on new hardware, might at least make it more tricky to crash.

Wild1145

• @wild1145#13756 If something is useful, but abuseable, then it's the job of a Moderator to punish such behaviour. No reason in punishing the 99% of the playerbase because some might abuse it.
    Going by this mentality, you might as well block everything that has the potential to be abused. Sounds like a fun time.

• @Miwojedk#13964 You seemed to miss my entire point. I'm not disagreeing that we should not block by default, and I'm keen to review the commands which are blocked to work out what is still blocked for a good reason and what isn't.

The issue with some commands potentially like this is by the time the damage is done, it's too late. Commands that very easily crash the server (like this sounds like it CAN) are more difficult because if someone does it when no admin is online, we lose the server for as long as it takes an admin to notice, by which point the person who did it probably gets away with it.

Given how easy it is to exploit (requires no real technical skill or hacked clients or otherwise) before I'd be comfortable to unblock it, I'd like some sort of mitigation in place to prevent this from occurring. What that looks like I don't care, but given how low skilled and high impact the results can be, something beyond blindly unblocking it needs to be in place.

Wild1145

• @wild1145#13974 I don't see how I missed your point.

In regards to how to prevent exploitation, I'd be happy if we were to simply having it be apart of AWE (i.e. so you can't crash the server instantly), or by setting a limit that's reasonably high. I understand that the issue might be complex to solve, but I'm glad you're also of a similar mindset.

• @Miwojedk#13983 as I said in the post

the point is if it's well known and a very easy way to crash the server with no way to fix it, then we'd probably rather the command blocked rather than the server spending more time offline than online...

If there's a way to fix it then we should, if there isn't then it should remain blocked is the tldr.

I'll raise a ticket if there isn't one already to look into the matter and see what we can do. There's a few similar commands that are already ticketed up so I'll group it with those.

Wild1145